I’m a huge fan of Mexican cuisine since I’ve been living in Los Angeles for most of my adult life. However, eating tacos with corn or flour tortillas posed a huge challenge during my weight-losing journey because of the high carb count. So I wanted to share a recipe for a Mexican Cauliflower Tortilla that I made and ate while I was very strict with my low carb eating routine. I hope this will inspire you to continue with your keto-friendly or low carb eating lifestyle. Check out this recipe below.
- 2 cups or 200 oz of grated raw cauliflower
- 2/4 cup of egg beaters or egg whites (no yolks)
- 1 cup or 3 oz Mexican style blend cheese
- 1 cup of diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of minced fresh cilantro
- 4 tsp of chopped white onions
- 4 tsp of lime juice
- 1/4 tsp of sea salt
- 1/4 tsp of ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp of ground cayenne
- Grate the cauliflower with a cheese grater or place into the blender (pulse for 10-15sec) until it’s the size of a piece of rice or smaller
- Squeeze out excess water from the cauliflower using a cheesecloth
- Combine grated cauliflower, egg, and cheese until mixed completely
- Flatten out the mixture into 4 tortillas about 6″ wide; the thinner the tortilla, the more evenly these pieces will bake; discard any excess water that’s in your mixture
- Bake for 15-20 minutes on each side for a total of 30-40 minutes. Helpful tip: Let the tortilla cool for 3 mins before carefully flipping it over to the other side to bake; this cooling process will help the tortilla from breaking apart. Once baked fully baked on both sides, let cool them for a few mins and then serve.
- Mince the tomatoes, onions, and cilantro.
- Mix these ingredients with the spices and lime juice.
- Serve with the quesadillas.
Preheat oven to 425F
If you are curious about what kind of tacos to make now that you have access to these low carb Mexican Cauliflower Tortillas, check out this low carb Mexican cheese quesadilla recipe that will make you salivate. And if you need an ice-cold drink, check out my low carb horchata recipe as well. Feel free to let me know what you think of these tortillas in the comments below.