Want to learn how to how to cook crispy low-carb jicama french fries without all the oil and grease?
While some people have a sweet tooth, my body craves carbs. I love plates of pasta, slices of bread, pizzas, and fries. But I don’t love is the way that these tasty, yet decadent foods make me feel hours or days after I consume them. Often times I would feel sluggish or bloated. After years of finally feeling fed up with feeling this way, I started my weight-loss journey. I started to eat lower carbs or keto-friendly foods. Through research and speaking to fellow foodies about more low-carb friendly french fry substitutes, I found many recipes online. However, I created a recipe gourmet like ones that you would find at a nice steak house.
Here is my easy recipe for crispy low-carb jicama french fries with garlic, parmesan cheese, and parsley.
And of course, I have to eat my low carb garlic jicama French fries with ketchup. I recently made a new discovery of Hunt’s Best Ever ketchup, which is Non-GMO and doesn’t contain high fructose sugar. This condiment does have fresh tomatoes grown my home state of California and uses sugar cane. If you want to check out the video version of this recipe, click HERE. And if you want to try this ketchup, click HERE.
*Thank you, Hunt’s for sponsoring this blog post. All opinions and recipe in this post are my own.
- 3 cups of sliced organic raw jicama (~ 1/4″ thick – same shape as french fries)
- 1 tsp of sea salt (for taste – optional)
- 1/2 tsp of organic ground black pepper (for taste – optional)
- 1 tsp of organic garlic powder
- 1-2 tbsp of organic avocado oil
- 1 tsp of grated pecorino or parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp of chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Gently mix all the ingredients together. I prefer to use avocado oil because it has a higher smoke point compared to olive oil, so it will help make the French fries more crispy.
- Carefully place about 1-1.5 cups of the raw jicama French fries in the air fryer. I don’t suggest to overload the air-fryer basket so each piece can cook as evenly as possible.
- Turn on the air fryer to 325°F (162.778°C) for about 25 minutes. To make ensure that each French fry is evenly cooked, I would toss the fries around the basket every 10-15 min. Feel free to cook up to 30 min, if you like your low carb French fries fried to a deep golden crisp.
- To add more layers of flavor, I also added grated cheese (to add a bit more saltiness) and minced parsley (for a fresh pop of flavor) on top.
- Repeat the instructions above until you have cooked all 3 cups of the jicama.