Want to make a crispy air fryer coconut shrimp dish for your staycation this summer? Sometimes it’s hard to take time off and vacation to a tropical destination. As a travel and food blogger, I am very fortunate to discover different types of cuisines from all over the world. With this, I love sharing these healthy and delicious ways to eat. Since I will be heading out to the island of Nevis this coming week, I felt inspired to create a Caribbean-inspired dish that’s low carb and keto-friendly but also taste delicious. Check out this recipe to make you feel like you are island hopping.
What I love about this crispy air fryer coconut shrimp recipe is that it’s low carb and tastes like a tropical getaway. The coconut coating provides for a crunch that’s the opposite of the tenderness of the shrimp on the inside. I also wanted to include additional flavors of cayenne for a slight kick and lime juice for a citrusy complement to the seafood. But my favorite condiment for air fried dishes is ketchup. It’s the one condiment that rounds out all the flavor for this dish with its sweet flavor. My latest discovery has been Hunt’s Best Ever Ketchup, which is non-GMO and has no high fructose syrup (the sweetness comes from the sugar cane and California grown tomatoes). If you are looking for an alternative to the standard bottles of ketchup, check out this site (click HERE) to read more about this ketchup. Thanks again, Hunt’s for sponsoring this post.
- 10 pieces of raw medium-size wild-caught shrimp, deveined with the tail on
- 1/2 tsp organic black pepper
- 1/4 tsp organic sea salt
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp organic cayenne pepper (depending on your heat preference)
- 1 tsp of organic lime juice
- 1 cup of organic coconut flour
- 1 cup of organic coconut milk
- 1 cup of organic shredded coconut flakes
- Mix the shrimp with the black pepper, cayenne pepper, lemon juice, and sea salt. Let it marinate for 10-30 min in the fridge.
- Lightly coat the entire raw shrimp in the coconut flour; this will help absorb more coconut milk.
- Quickly dip each shrimp in the coconut milk. Shake off any excess liquid.
- Press the coconut flakes onto all sides of the shrimp
- Place into the air fryer for 10 min at 400°F (204°C); feel free to add an extra 1-2 min to make it extra crispy.
And you’re done. Easy, right?