One of my favorite “bread substitutes is using slices of firm tofu; you can grill or pan fry thin slices to create bread like slices that absorb all the flavors of your favorite sauces, mayo, or juiciness from the tomato slices. By substituting 2 slices of bread (1 oz each) with 2 slices of grilled tofu (3 oz each) you may reduce the carbs of your sandwich by 24 grams carbs per slice. Check out my American BLT sandwich recipe below:
Leaner Tip: Substitute 2 slices of bread (1 oz each) with 2 slices of grilled tofu (3 oz each) to reduce the recipe by ~24g of carbs per slice.
American BLT Sandwich
Prep Time: 8 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes 15 seconds
Total Time: 28 minutes 15 seconds
This is my low carb version of an American BLT sandwich
- 12 oz of “extra firm” tofu (sliced into 4 pieces about 3 oz each)
- 2 cups of lettuce (romaine or iceberg)
- 1 cup of sliced tomatoes (1/4″-1/2″ slices)
- 4 slices of turkey bacon (or more if you love bacon)
- 1/4 tsp of mayo or mustard
- 1/8 tsp of sea salt
- Slice 3 oz of extra firm tofu so it resembles a piece of bread (should be ~1/4 of the packaged tofu).
- Pat tofu slices completely dry with a paper towel; this process is important since it will help make the slices more crispy like toasted bread.
- Set large non-stick sauté pan on medium heat. Then spray a bit of cooking or add a sliver of butter before carefully placing the tofu slices on the pan. Cook for about 10 min on each side or until you see that it’s a golden brown color; you can also add a pinch of salt to the tofu slices as an option. Set aside on a paper napkin when done.
- Set to medium heat, please 4 slices of turkey bacon on to a non-stick pan and cook for about 3 min each side or until thoroughly cooked. Also set aside on a dry paper towel.
- To stack the sandwich, start with one slice of cooked tofu, add 1 cup of lettuce, 1/2 cup of tomatoes, 2 pieces of turkey bacon (or as many as you want). Feel free to add in mayo or mustard or pickles. Then add the second sliced tofu on top. Repeat for the second sandwich and serve.
Leave A Comment