Leaner Tip: Substitute lasagna pasta with sliced zucchini to reduce recipe by ~160 calories per cup.
- 2 whole zucchinis (~2 cups)
- 4 tsp of Italian spice mix
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1/8 tsp of chili flakes (or paprika)
- 10 oz of ground turkey (85-94% lean) or 12oz of ground turkey (95-97% lean)
- 2 cups of non-fat ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup of parmesan cheese
- 3-4 roma tomatoes (about 2 cups)
- Preheat the oven for 375F (190C)
- Line the lasagna pan with parchment paper (optional – but will make removing the lasagna easier)
- Mix the turkey meat with all of the spices and salt.
- To create the zucchini lasagna pasta, slice the zucchini vertically with a 1/8″ width. You will need about 15-20 pieces.
- Slice the tomatoes to the size of 1/4″ patties (about 16 pieces)
- First layer the bottom of the pan with the zucchini slices, secondly add and flatten out 1 cup of ricotta cheese, add your tomato slices, add about 5 oz of the ground turkey, and repeat the layer process. Lastly, add the parmesan cheese as the last layer.
- Place tin foil on top of the lasagna but keep it loosely wrapped to let some of the water evaporate.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Take the lasagna out of the oven, remove the tin foil, and drain out excess water from the pan.
- Put the lasagna back into the oven for another 20 min (without the tin foil) until the cheese turns to a golden brown color.
- Remove from the oven (you may need to drain out the excess water again) and let it sit for 10 min before serving.